What to Expect From Invisalign
Invisalign is the clear, comfortable, and discrete alternative to traditional metal braces for orthodontic treatment. It is also more hygienic as the system uses a series of custom-made removable aligners to gradually move your teeth to the ideal position. Most people you interact with won’t even notice you wearing the nearly invisible aligners, which means that you can maintain your lifestyle during treatment.
So, how does Invisalign treatment work?
The first step is a consultation with your Invisalign specialist or other orthodontist to determine whether Invisalign treatment is right for your case. Generally, the treatment is recommended for most mild to moderate orthodontic issues, including closing spaces between teeth, straightening crooked or crowded teeth, fixing malocclusion, and addressing overbites/underbites/crossbites.
If you’re a good candidate for Invisalign, the treatment process will involve the following:
- Your Invisalign specialist will take photos, digital scans, and X-rays, or dental impression to assist in formulating a treatment plan that can address your teeth straightening problem with precision.
- The specialist will come up with a personalized treatment prescription that will be used together with the records – in the above step to create a customized 3D treatment plan for your specific problem. Using Align Technology, you and your specialist can view the expected final position of your teeth at the completion of the treatment. This custom-treatment plan will then be used to develop your series of personalized aligners, and will determine the duration of your treatment.
- Your customized aligners will be fabricated and sent to your orthodontist’s office to initiate the treatment
- You will be provided with a series of your custom-made aligners (either 3 or 4 sets) that you can change yourself every 2 weeks.
- Every 6-8 weeks, you will have to return to the orthodontist for the next sets of aligners in the series. These visits are also important to monitor the progress of your treatment
- After completing your Invisalign treatment, your orthodontist may recommend that you wear retainers to help maintain the new position of your teeth
Living with Invisalign
The Invisalign system requires that you wear your clear aligners every day for 20 to 22 hours, removing them only during meals and brushing/flossing. This allows you to maintain your quality of life while receiving orthodontic treatment that will improve your smile and transform your life. Visit your orthodontist in West Covina, CA today to discuss ways to improve your smile.