Orthodontist in West Covina
If you’re looking to improve your smile by straightening crooked teeth, correcting a misaligned bite, or aligning the jaw correctly, then Dr. Gregory Robins may be able to help. As an orthodontist in West Covina, CA, Dr. Robins is a dental specialist with the training and skills to aid with the diagnosis and treatment of many kinds of dental and facial irregularities.
You may need to see an orthodontist for assistance with:
- Crooked or overcrowded teeth
- Misaligned bite - overbite, underbite, or crossbite
- Gaps between our teeth
- Sleep apnea
- Tooth movement caused by bad habits such as prolonged thumb sucking
How Orthodontic Treatment Works
Dr. Robins can recommend different types of fixed or removable appliances to help move your teeth, retrain muscles, or influence the growth of your jaws. These devices work by exerting gentle pressure on the teeth and jaws to facilitate gradual movement.
The type of appliances and treatments used depend on the complexity of your case. Common options include:
- Fixed braces - comprise brackets that are attached to the front of the tooth, or bands that are fixed around the teeth, and connected to each other through arch wires that can be tightened to put teeth under tension and cause them to move gradually. Braces are typically adjusted or tightened monthly until the desired results are achieved in 1-3 years.
- Special fixed appliances - they are attached to the teeth via bands to control tongue thrusting and thumb sucking
- Fixed space maintainers - these are used to prevent adjacent teeth from shifting and reducing the space, following premature loss of a baby tooth
- Aligners - these are used as an alternative to braces to move teeth gradually, to correct minor to moderate cases of bad bite
When to see an orthodontist
You may need to visit an orthodontist if you need specialized care and treatment for crooked teeth or a bad bite. That said, it is recommended that children see an orthodontist for the first time by the age of 7 years. If a young patient needs orthodontic treatment, early interceptive treatment, braces, headgear, and other orthodontic devices typically yield the best results when interventions are introduced as early as possible.
Teens and adults can also seek orthodontic treatment to improve the function of their mouth and enhance their smile. Early treatment helps to improve oral hygiene and reduce the risk of gum disease, cavities, and other oral problems.Your orthodontist and dentist will work together to create the best treatment plan for optimal results.